Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Kids at play

To start with I suppose I should pimp the link in the title. Tis to one of my new favourite sites, Massively.com and an article on EVE Online.

I was in McDonalds the other day with Shannon and there was a small party of kids that arrived. I don't know if it was just a group that reserved the bright kiddy area or actually a birthday, but it's not relevant. The kids started playing make believe, as they are given to doing. They were, as near as I can tell, playing School, with one child as the teacher. The others had to put their hands up to ask questions and speak and so on.

After reading the article linked, I remembered that game and games I used to play as a kid. Then I got to thinking about the supergroups I am in, in City of Heroes.

Obviously we're given to heirarchies. Children will assemble themselves behind a leader, games will follow rules and in teams, someone is invariably in charge.

So what then is the best way to organise an MMO guild or governing body? Is it the popularity vote (Which in the EVE example, only 11% of the playerbase voted)? Is it through rules and regulations and an edifice people can work for and around? Is it through sheer force of personality?

I'm hoping to take a quite active part in the guilds in Warhammer Online, and it seems that little guilds are just as useful and worthwhile as larger ones.
So what way to go about it?

Shall we all just play kids games and see who takes charge day to day for fun?
How would you organise a guild?

No comments: